nanog mailing list archives

Re: Inquiries to Acquire IPs

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:29:35 -0400

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Oscar Ricardo Silva
<osilva () scuff cc utexas edu> wrote:
On 07/02/2010 01:46 PM, Crist Clark wrote:

We got a strange and out of the blue inquiry from someone
wishing to pay us for a chunk of our ARIN allocation,

Hello,

According to Whois data, you company owns the following
IP address space:

206.220.220.0/24

We would like to get this block of IP addresses for our business
needs. Is it possible to assign this block for our company with
PI (Provider Independent) or PA (Provider Assigned) status?

We ready to pay about $5,000 for the net block itself
and all related procedures.

Would you be interested in such an offer? The amount of compensation
is subject to negotiation.

We're not interested, mostly because we use our allocation,
but also because I think this is not allowed by our agreement
with ARIN. Seems a bit fishy.

I should add the sender identified himself and his company
clearly. It wasn't from some free mail account. (Although it
could of course be spoofed.)

Is this a new thing? IP speculation as we come upon free pool
depletion? A front for spammers?

Yeah, we received the same kind of offer here.  Here's the message in full:

******************************
Hello,

According to Whois data, you company owns the following
IP address space:

146.6.6.0/24

--
Kind regards,