nanog mailing list archives

Re: I slogged through it so you don't have to -- ICANN Vertical Integration WG for dummies

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner () nic-naa net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:09:43 -0400

On 7/26/10 3:28 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
Now seriously, just how many pages of the IV Initial Report did you read
before coming up with "the fifth option"?

I read the entire thing. Of the 138 pages, take out the Summary, the
ToC and several of the Annexes where many of them are sort of cut&
past of discussions/text circulated through email lists/blogs/tweets,
and positions that were clearly stated in meetings and conference
calls, you are left with few pages with some novelty stuff.

Being one of the rare known external readers, is there any bit of it you have a view on not already reflected in the para above and below?

Hard to believe there will be any consensus before the Cartagena
meeting (even after), the BoD will end directing staff to use the

That was my initial view, that there would be consensus around three proposed policy -- a 15% cap with minor variation, no cap with minor variation, and happy brand owners, with no consensus between any two of these three positions. Now I think the no-cap advocates and the brand advocates will tactically compromise.

magic wand and negotiate something with VeriDaddy and NeuSign.

Actually the alliances visible at present are:

JN2 proposal: Verisign, NeuStar, NetSol and eNom and others,

RACK proposal: Afilas, PIR, GoDaddy, and others, including CORE.

I look forward to your public comments, here or at the ICANN comment site.

Eric