nanog mailing list archives

Re: Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:33:19 -0700

On Jul 23, 2010, at 2:50 AM, Jens Link wrote:

Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes:

In all reality:

1.   NAT has nothing to do with security. Stateful inspection provides
     security, NAT just mangles addresses.

You know that, I know that and (hopefully) all people on this list know
that. But NAT == security was and still is sold by many people.

So is snake oil.

Most customers don't know or care what NAT is and wouldn't know the
difference between a NAT firewall and a stateful inspection firewall.

I Agree. But there are also many people who want to believe in NAT as
security feature.

After one of my talks about IPv6 the firewall admins of a company said
something like: "So we can't use NAT as an excuse anymore and have to
configure firewall rules? We don't want this."

So how did you answer him?

The correct answer is "No, you don't have to configure rules, you just need
one rule supplied by default which denies anything that doesn't have a
corresponding outbound entry in the state table and it works just like NAT
without the address mangling".

In my experience, other than a small handful of religious zealots, that
explanation is sufficient to get the point across to most such admins.

Owen