nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mikrotik & OC-3 Connection

From: Tim McKee <tim () baseworx net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 13:23:54 -0400

You can always use a Gig-E <-> OC3c/STM1 media converter.  I've used one
from RAD just to provide OC3c access speeds for some over Cisco 75xx
routers which don't support POS interfaces.  Works great.

Tim McKee

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 16:07 -0500, Butch Evans wrote:
On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 12:22 -0700, Mike wrote:
        > Mikrotik is great at lower end stuff where you have ethernet
        interfaces.
        > Real POS OC-3 however, ain't in it's repertory and would not
        be what I
        > would choose to route at those interfaces/speeds.

        While I agree that Mikrotik and OC-3 don't go together, I don't
        know why
        you would suppose that it can't route at that speed.  It's a
        Linux
        kernel and given the right hardware, can easily handle that much
        speed.

        > However, if you must
        > 'connect mikrotik to oc-3', you might as well find yourself a
        cisco
        > router of some kind with a PA-POS-OC3 card and use it as a
        simple modem.

        Or ImageStream for about 1/2 (or better) of the price.

        > Of course, for the price, you might as well just let the cisco
        do what
        > you're planning on doing with the Mikrotik and get orders of
        magnitude
        > of functionality and stability out of it in the process.

        More functionality from a Cisco?  You MUST be joking.  MT (and
        ImageStream for that matter) can do WAY more than Cisco for a
        fraction
        of the price.  Both will offer a much better firewall option,
        infinitely
        better QOS capability and is easily as good with dynamic routing
        (BGP,
        OSPF, etc.).  What's more, you can have a spare on the shelf and
        STILL
        not spend as much money as you would for a Cisco device.

        --
        * Butch Evans                   * Professional Network
        Consultation*