nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using /126 for IPv6 router links

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:38:43 -0800 (PST)

From: Mark Smith nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org

Why can't IPv6 node addressing be as easy to understand and work with
as Ethernet addresses? They were designed in the early 1980s*. 28 years
or so years later, it's time for layer 3 addressing to catch up.

Becase Ethernet addresses are only locally significant, are not manually assigned in the vast majority of cases, and
changing a MAC by replacing a NIC has no bearing on the configuration of a { server | router ACL | etc }.

Layer 3 addressing is globally significant, and the case we're discussing is addresses which are human-assigned rather
than automatically configured.  Link-local autoconfiguration in IPv6 works like a champ, and behaves pretty much the
way I would want it to.  Global addressing approaches, on the other hand, are highly optimized in directions which make
them less flexible or have surprising consequences (hence this thread).
David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com