nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using /126 for IPv6 router links

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 04:58:26 -0600

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:14:17AM -0800, Matthew Petach wrote:

As I mentioned in my lightning talk at the last NANOG, we reserved a
/64 for each PtP link, but configured it as the first /126 out of the
/64.  That gives us the most flexibility for expanding to the full /64
later if necessary, but prevents us from being victim of the classic
v6 neighbor discovery attack that you're prone to if you configure the
entire /64 on the link.  All someone out on the 'net needs to do is
scan up through your address space on the link as quickly as possible,
sending single packets at all the non-existent addresses on the link,
and watch as your router CPU starts to churn keeping track of all the
neighbor discovery messages, state table updates, and incomplete
age-outs.  With the link configured as a /126, there's a very small

That's an attack vector you have to worry about even today with IPv4
space. There are quite a few vendors who you can make fall over with CPU
trying to do arp resolution and/or cam exhaustion just by doing "ip
address x.x.x.x/16" as a directly connected block on an Ethernet
interface. One redeeming quality to the whole autoconfig thing is it'll
do a great job cutting down on port scanning for vulnerabilities on end
hosts (or else make the flood of port scanning traffic 2^64 times worse,
it remains to be seen I suppose :P). My personal theory is it will
result in a black market of buying and selling people's active IPv6
addresses from various website logs and the like, so hax0rs will have
something to scan. In a few years time it will probably be popular with
end users to periodicially "rotate the shield frequencies" with their
final 64 bits, or maybe even use them on a per-transaction basis for
extra security. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras