nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are IPv6-only Internet services viable today?

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:01:17 -0800

In a message written on Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:59:00AM -0800, Cameron Byrne wrote:
It's unfortunate for me that nobody is interested in talking about the
question I asked in light of the data i supplied.  The question being,
is it possible for a mobile operator to offer an IPv6-only service
today to casual Internet users on new devices with new service plans?

Yes it is possible.

Yes you will exclude some segment of customers today.

Perhaps it is just a rhetorical question because the video obviously
shows it is possible.  But, i am legitimately interested in perceived
service gaps or issues, given this tightly controlled service
definition (web and email).

I think the phones stopped being "tightly controlled" with the
iPhone and Android phones.  They expect generic IP connectivty, and
are very much not web and e-mail only.  Moreso than an IPv6 only
provider, a web and e-mail only provider would probbaly find
themselves at a huge disadvantage to a significant and growing
segment of the market.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org - CCIE 3440