nanog mailing list archives

Re: Consumer-grade dual-homed connectivity options?

From: Mathias Seiler <ms () mironet ch>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:56:07 +0100

Hi Paul

You can do this on a linux box with a pretty much basic kernel.

I currently have a similar setup at home with a DSL and a cable line (from different providers).
Here's the script I'm actually using: http://ocaholic.ch/download/multinat.txt

Some packets are tagged with iptables (SSH as an example) because I want it to prefer the DSL connection. You can do
pretty interesting things with it, even per-packet round-robin distribution … which is a Bad Idea™ though.

If you want it to fail-over automatically you need to patch the kernel etc. You'll find all information on
http://lartc.org/ (especially on http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html) and here:
http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes

This setup is running for about a year now and it does this quite well.

Regards

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Paul Bennett" <paul.w.bennett () gmail com>

At home, I currently run two DSL lines. Right now, we just have two
separate LANs, one connected to each line, with my wife's devices attached
to one, and my devices attached to the other. For a while now, I've been
thinking about setting up a load-balancing routing solution to give both
of us access to both lines.

Mathias Seiler

MiroNet GmbH, Strassburgerallee 86, CH-4055 Basel
T +41 61 201 30 90, F +41 61 201 30 99

mathias.seiler () mironet ch
www.mironet.ch