nanog mailing list archives

Re: Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:58:26 -0500

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 18:24:26 -0500, Jeffrey I. Schiller <jis () mit edu> wrote:
An option I saw years ago (I forgot on whose equipment) was a default
password which was a function of the equipment's serial number. So you
had to have the algorithm and you needed the serial number which was not
related to the MAC. So if you didn't have physical access, you were not
in a good position to learn the password.

Gadzoox used to do that... the management modules for their hubs had factory set random passwords. It's provided on a sticker with the card, so you can put it where you want -- just don't lose it, because that's only place it exists (without breaking out a JTAG debugger.)

Yes, their later gear has standard default passwords.

--Ricky