nanog mailing list archives

Re: Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:26:07 -0500

On Jan 6, 2010, at 6:24 PM, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:

An option I saw years ago (I forgot on whose equipment) was a default
password which was a function of the equipment's serial number. So you
had to have the algorithm and you needed the serial number which was not
related to the MAC. So if you didn't have physical access, you were not
in a good position to learn the password.

I suspect this was a support nightmare for the vendor and I bet they
went to a more standard (read: the same) factory password.

At the end of the day, minimizing support costs for the vendor (not to
mention likely annoyance for the customer) trumps providing "default"
security for the folks who won't change the default password.

The MyFi apparently does this.  According to http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/technology/personaltech/07pogue.html
"The network password is printed right there on the bottom of the MiFi itself."