nanog mailing list archives

Re: SSH brute force China and Linux: best practices

From: Chuck Anderson <cra () WPI EDU>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:16:03 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:47:57PM -0600, Bobby Mac wrote:
What are the new set of best practices for those running a NIX home
computer.  Yes I have a firewall and I do peruse my logs on a regular
basis.

1. Don't have services listening unless you need them.

2. If you can, move needed services to nonstandard ports.

If the only ports you have open are for services you want/need to
access from anywhere, then you don't need a firewall.

BTW: ever drop a malformed  URL to alert an admin to some thing that sucks?
w3.hp.com/execs/makes/too/much/money or
www.yourbuddiesdomain.com/it/is/all/rfc/space/use/1918/when/referring/to/non/routable

Yes.