nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS server software

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () isc org>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:27:02 +0000

Claudio Lapidus <clapidus () gmail com> writes:

We are a mid-sized carrier (1.2M broadband subscribers) and we are
looking for an upgrade in our public DNS resolver infrastructure, so we
are interested in getting to know what are you guys using in your
networks.  Mainly what kind/brand of software and which architecture did
you use to deploy it, and how did you do the sizing, all of it would be
most helpful information.

Unsurprisingly, we (AS1280, AS3557) run BIND 9.  see <http://www.isc.org/>.
We have at least two recursives in each AS1280 site, and one in each
AS3557 location (f-root).  Stubs (either /etc/resolv.conf or DHCP) each use
all local plus some non-local, for a minimum of three total.  Recursive DNS
servers do not use forwarding or other cache-sharing techniques, each is
fully independent.  Most have DNSSEC validation enabled, and of those, all
are subscribed to ISC DLV, see <http://dlv.isc.org/>.  Most server hosts
here run FreeBSD on AMD64/EM64T or else i386.
--
Paul Vixie
KI6YSY