nanog mailing list archives

Re: Research Project: Internet capacity during pandemic events

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner () nic-naa net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:18:50 -0500

Mike,

Is your interest events like the recent semi-non-event with H1N1, where for contagation management, workforce labor and school age children were not compulsorily aggregated, or morbidity and mortality effects on network operator labor for an event such as the dispersal of a weaponized biological?

Restated, is your interest bursty behavior on the edge (houses of workers at big box employers X,Y,Z), rather than at the core (big box employer X,Y,Z), or how do network operators plan continuity as the skilled labor available count goes to zero?

We sort of had the latter exercise over the past three weeks in Haiti, where fuel, food, and families assumptions about operational readiness were tested, and only just kept above zero.

Eric