nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ticket/Asset Managment system

From: Phil Regnauld <regnauld () nsrc org>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:51:05 +0100

Brandon Grant (brandon) writes:
I am currently evaluating my options for an open source trouble ticket
management system that is based on assets (the trouble ticket is opened
on a particular server, network element, etc.).

        Hi Brandon,

        Maybe RT (already mentioned) could do the trick -- it's a matter of
        choosing how you will set up the system, i.e.: number of queues, custom
        fields, etc...

        Since it's ticket centric, it really doesn't matter how many servers
        or assets you have.

Also, I am hoping to
find a tool that can tie in with SNMP software so I can have tickets
auto-generated for certain types of SNMP traps or polling failures.

        That's not really dependent on the ticket system.  I've done this
        with Trac and RT: it's more a matter of whether the NMS platform
        allows triggers (arbitrary actions) to be tied to events, and also
        in which cases.  It's trivial with Nagios to open tickets on down
        or unreachable events.  You could even instrument the script to
        update the ticket (never close a ticket automatically!) every time
        a new event related to this equipment took place.

1.        OTRS.org

2.       GLIP-project.org

        You mean http://www.glpi-project.org/ -- I've heard it should be quite
        complicated to setup, but have no first hand experience myself.

        Cheers,
        Phil