nanog mailing list archives

Latest Cisco for small dual homed ASN

From: James Smallacombe <up () 3 am>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:53:26 -0500 (EST)

I have a customer that is looking at using BGP for their network; one connection over a few bonded T1s, the other over a Comcast Enterprise connection (which supposedly will do BGP now).

When I was dual homed a few years ago, a 7204VXR with 256MB was more than adequate. With routing tables growing the way they are, what's a good Cisco based solution on the lower end of the price spectrum that should handle this fine for a few years?

Somebody else is suggesting a Vyatta (Linux based) solution, which makes me a little nervous. Then again, Linux has improved dramatically from a security and stability P.O.V, so maybe it's worth a look if there's no hard drive involved.

TIA,

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up () 3 am                                                          http://3.am