nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mitigating human error in the SP

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 23:46:29 +1030

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:21:52 -0500
Chadwick Sorrell <mirotrem () gmail com> wrote:

Hello NANOG,

Long time listener, first time caller.

A recent organizational change at my company has put someone in charge
who is determined to make things perfect.  We are a service provider,
not an enterprise company, and our business is doing provisioning work
during the day.  We recently experienced an outage when an engineer,
troubleshooting a failed turn-up, changed the ethertype on the wrong
port losing both management and customer data on said device.  This
isn't a common occurrence, and the engineer in question has a pristine
track record.

Why didn't the customer have a backup link if their service was so
important to them and indirectly your upper management? If your
upper management are taking this problem that seriously, then your
*sales people* didn't do their job properly - they should be ensuring
that customers with high availability requirements have a backup link,
or aren't led to believe that the single-point-of-failure service will
be highly available.

This outage, of a high profile customer, triggered upper management to
react by calling a meeting just days after.  Put bluntly, we've been
told "Human errors are unacceptable, and they will be completely
eliminated.  One is too many."

If upper management don't understand that human error is a risk factor
that can't be completely eliminated, then I suggest "self-eliminating"
and find yourself a job somewhere else. The only way you'll avoid
human error having any impact on production services is to not change
anything - which pretty much means not having a job anyway ...

I am asking the respectable NANOG engineers....

What measures have you taken to mitigate human mistakes?

Have they been successful?

Any other comments on the subject would be appreciated, we would like
to come to our next meeting armed and dangerous.

Thanks!
Chad