nanog mailing list archives

Re: black listing of web traffic

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:54:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Andrey Gordon wrote:

I have a problem that I can't seem to find a solution to yet. My student
network is being NATted out and anyone who's on that network had troubles
accessing random websites.
For example, going to www.apple.com or www.facebook.com would work great,
but store.apple.com would either not load or take forever to open up.

I've had that problem last week and thought I tracked it down to the NAT ip
being black listed with one of the span black lists. Even though that IP is
not used for mail out, that somehow seemed to affect it. Changing it to a
different one seemed to solve the problem and I got that original address of
the list in the mean time. Changed it back and everything was well, until
today.
Same symptoms, but now I don't see us listed anywhere.
The best description of the symptoms seems to be that that IP is rate
limited or something.

Other than the Spamhaus DROP list, I've never heard of blacklisting being applied to IP routing. Were some of your IPs somehow on their DROP list?

http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |