nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wake on LAN in the enterprise

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:32:52 -0600

On 12/13/2010 10:20 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
WOL is unfortunately terribly deficient in that the spec. never envisioned the possibility
of a need for wake on WAN.

Bottom line, it's a non-routeable layer 2 protocol. Your choices boil down to the
helper address nightmare you describe or proxy servers on every subnet.

I would suspect that proxy servers being the better deal, though my experience with Cisco is that you may have to use ASR type gear to get a nicer layout (similar to service providers) where you can backend everything to a radius server (I'm still waiting to test this myself, but IOS is really weak on DHCP support).

Jack