nanog mailing list archives

Re: The scale of streaming video on the Internet.

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 17:56:45 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
Level 3 is functioning not only as a transport provider for smaller
content providers, but also as an aggregated negotiation service,
though in this case the content provider, Netflix, is big enough to
matter. (Some years ago, when they were DVDs by mail only, it was
estimated that they had a bandwidth about 1/3 that of the total (US?)
internet, just with slightly higher latency) (or significantly lower
latency, if you were still on modems.)

A station wagon full of magtape, yes.  Henry Spencer?

I recently calculated the capacity of a 747F full of LTO-4 tapes; it's
about 8.7 exabytes.  I *think* it's within weight and balance for the
airframe.

Cheers,
-- jra