nanog mailing list archives

Re: Want to move to all 208V for server racks

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 00:33:46 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jima" <nanog () jima tk>

On 12/3/2010 9:25 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:
(OK, so it's not as practical when you have other customers to worry
about... but it might not be so crazy when you're looking at the
efficiency numbers for 100,000 small 1u power supplies vs a set
of much larger ones.)

Particularly if you're running your AC power through UPSes --
especially online ones (where there's a constant AC-DC-AC conversion
happening). Go to DC for the batteries, never come back. It's a
tempting notion.

And in fact, much carrier class equipment can be had with -48V power, there
are ATX and similar power supplies for PCs that are -48, and I *think* I've
commercial small UPSs (<3kVa) that give with -48 as well... using 48V
battery strings, obviously.

Cheers,
-- jra