nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google mail admin contact needed (STARTTLS capabilities issue)

From: Brent Jones <brent () servuhome net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 20:06:25 -0800

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 17:30:38 PST, Brent Jones said:

For example, below shows the same MX at Google responding with and
without TLS. I attempted about a dozen times over a few minutes to the
same MX until I got STARTTLS listed in the capabilities list, but the
next attempt to the same MX would no longer show STARTTLS

Equally troubling is the similarly random nature of PIPELINING, which doesn't
even match the STARTTLS appearing or not. Definitely bad juju.

Yah, I've been trying to find a method to this madness, yet I cannot.
Haven't heard from their support escalation, or from NST.

I'll randomly get a host that advertises TLS, or pipelining, or both  ;)
Certainly not the behavior I would expect from Google, now that
they're doing government/education e-mail hosting.

--
Brent Jones
brent () servuhome net