nanog mailing list archives

Re: The scale of streaming video on the Internet.

From: Ken A <ka () pacific net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 08:46:49 -0600

On 12/3/2010 8:16 AM, Neil Harris wrote:
On 02/12/10 20:21, Leo Bicknell wrote:
Comcast has around ~15 million high speed Internet subscribers (based on
year old data, I'm sure it is higher), which means at peak usage around
0.3% of all Comcast high speed users would be watching.

That's an interesting number, but let's run back the other way.
Consider what happens if folks cut the cord, and watch Internet
only TV. I went and found some TV ratings:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/11/30/tv-ratings-broadcast-top-25-sunday-night-football-dancing-with-the-stars-finale-two-and-a-half-men-ncis-top-week-10-viewing/73784

Sunday Night Football at the top last week, with 7.1% of US homes
watching. That's over 23 times as many folks watching as the 0.3% in
our previous math! Ok, 23 times 150Gbps.

3.45Tb/s.

Yowzer. That's a lot of data. 345 10GE ports for a SINGLE TV show.

But that's 7.1% of homes, so scale up to 100% of homes and you get
48Tb/sec, that's right 4830 simultaneous 10GE's if all of Comcast's
existing high speed subs dropped cable and watched the same shows over
the Internet.

I think we all know that streaming video is large. Putting the real
numbers to it shows the real engineering challenges on both sides,
generating and sinking the content, and why comapnies are fighting so
much over it.

You might be interested in the EU-funded P2P-NEXT research initiative,
which is creating a P2P system capable of handling P2P broadcasting at
massive scale:

http://www.p2p-next.org/

Veetle uses p2p too. It's stream isn't quite 'light speed'; perhaps 30 seconds delayed.
Ken

-- Neil

(full disclosure: I'm associated with one of the participants in the
project)

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific Internet - http://www.pacific.net