nanog mailing list archives

Re: wikileaks dns (was Re: Blocking International DNS)

From: Joakim Aronius <joakim () aronius com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:35:05 +0100

* Jack Bates (jbates () brightok net) wrote:
Given "These attacks have, and future attacks would, threaten the
stability of the EveryDNS.net infrastructure, which enables access
to almost 500,000 other websites." I'd say they had DOS issues with
their nameservers. They can't be expected to let their other domains
go down in efforts to protect a single domain.

This is then important information that should be spelled out in their terms of service. 'If your domain generate to
much traffic we will terminate your service'.. It might very well be reasonable for a free service to have these
restrictions but as a customer it could be an important differentiator when choosing service provider.

..assuming that the DOS actually took place.. (tinfoil hat on..:)

/Joakim

I'm guessing they weathered the problem somewhat, as they actually
gave 24h notice. However, excessive loads and constant monitoring
and protective measures on a free service would definitely be
something a company would want to stop.

Jack