nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5.7/5.8 GHz 802.11n dual polarity MIMO through office building glass, 1.5 km distance

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:56:45 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010, Anonymous List User wrote:

For architectural and building management reasons we cannot mount our
antennas in a rooftop or outdoor location at either end.  The distance
between two buildings is 1.5 km, and the fresnel zone is clear.  Antennas
need to be located indoors at both ends and will be placed on small speaker
stand tripod pointing at windows.  This has been done successfully before
with 2.4 GHz 802.11g equipment and a link from an office in the Westin to a
nearby apartment building, but I am unsure of what effect glass will have on
5 GHz.  Has anyone tried this?

A lot depends on the windows themselves. Windows in some modern buildings have a thin metallic coating that can have a big impact on the ability to pass an RF signal.

jms