nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cage nuts/rack hw near SAVVIS DC3 (Sterling VA)

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:56:59 -0500

On 2010-12-01, at 09:48, Leo Bicknell wrote:

In a message written on Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 06:43:25AM -0800, JC Dill wrote:
I really don't understand why someone hasn't put vending machines in
every major colo around the world.  We have vending machines that sell
ipods at the maul, we can certainly have a vending machine that sells
rack nuts and screws, patch cables, tools, etc. at colos.

Every meeting I have with a colo provider I suggest this exact idea.
Patch cables (cat5, single mode, multi-mode), fiber couplers, maybe
even SFP's, velcro ties, a 10-in-1 screwdriver, etc.

Two notable places I've done site work where the colo vendor was happy to sell me such things were Terremark/NOTA in
Miami and Global Switch in Amsterdam. But even in those cases there were times where I needed something outside normal
office hours and couldn't find anybody to sell it to me. Vending machines have the advantage that they don't sleep.

Joe