nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should routers send redirects by default?

From: Christopher Morrow <christopher.morrow () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:11:55 -0400

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Aug 20, 2010, at 3:56 PM, Butch Evans wrote:

On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 13:20 -0400, Christopher Morrow wrote:
Polling a little bit here, there's an active discussion going on
6man@ietf about whether or not v6 routers should:
 o be required to implement ip redirect functions (icmpv6 redirect)
 o be sending these by default

I do not currently have an IPv6 deployment, so my input may be lacking
in real usefulness here.  With IPv4, however, I have been a little
irritated at a few situations where I NEEDED this to work and it did not
(certain PIX routers come to mind here).  There are risks involved with
ANY "automated" type traffic to be sure, but for my money, it SHOULD be
possible to configure every router to support the network needs.  So for
my money, I'd suggest:

* routers MUST support ip redirect
* "default" configurations irrelevant to me

I do agree with one or two of the other posters that it should not be
within the purview of the IETF to "mandate" these defaults.  Each of us
will learn the defaults of the particular gear we use and can adjust
config templates to match, given the needs of the network we are
deploying.  Just my $0.02 (may be worth less than that)  :-)

One of the challenges is that some vendors have a poor track-record of
documenting these defaults.  this means unless you frequently sample

and changing them... so, picking a good default I think is important.
You'd prefer less config headaches I bet vs having to constantly hack
templates?

your network traffic, you may not see your device sending decnet mop
messages, or ipv6 redirects :)

Personally (and as the instigator in the ipv6/6man discussion) if the

yes thanks! :) (just following a path as requested by another 6man person)

vendors could be trusted to expose their default settings in their
configs, i would find a default of ON to be more acceptable.  As their
track-record is poor, and the harm has been realized in the network we
operate (at least), I am advocating that as a matter of policy enabling
redirects not be a default-on policy.  If people want to hang themselves
that's their problem, but at least they won't come with a hidden noose
around their neck.

yes, that was my point as well.
-chris

- Jared