nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should routers send redirects by default?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:40:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Jack Bates wrote:

Why should the ietf dictate a default on this?

Because that's what the IETF does, sets a SHOULD on "best common practice" after discussion in the community.

Requiring implementation I could understand, but setting the default? Should the ietf also specify requirement of allowing configuration change of a default?

I'd say by definition it's meaningless of talking about a default that can't be changed.

As I stated in the 6man discussion, I prefer routers to by default not send redirects. We do that in our configuration template.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se