nanog mailing list archives

Re: Numbering nameservers and resolvers

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:53:24 +1000

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 06:08:02AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Aug 16, 2010, at 6:03 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> said:
1) Use different prefixes.  A single prefix going down should not kill
your entire network.  (Nameservers and resolvers being unreachable
breaks the whole Internet as far as users are concerned.)

How do you do this in the IPv6 world, where I get a single /32?  Will
others accept announcements of two /33s to better handle things like
this?

The better solution is to trade secondary services with some other
provider. Sure, it's a bit of a pain keeping up with the new zones
to be added and old zones to be removed back and forth, but, it's
a great way to have your authoritative servers truly diverse and
independent.

At $JOB[3], where I was responsible for this sort of thing, a small amount
of shell scripting behind inetd on the master[1], and slightly more shell
scripting behind cron on the secondaries[2], and all our problems were
solved for all time.

- Matt

[1] Read /etc/named/zones/* mangled the (standardised) filenames to get a
list of the zones, and dumped it on stdout, which went out on a high port
that inetd was listening on.

[2] nc to the master on the relevant high port, read the list and write out
an automated named.conf fragment.  Also use a bit of md5sum to detect when
the list changed, so we know when to reload named on the slave.

[3] Subscript, not footnote.