nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 exceptions for RFC1918 space

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:15:11 +0200

* Michael J. Wise:

On Aug 15, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

What's the current consensus on exempting private network space from
source address validation?

BCP38-land MUST *never* see RFC1918-space traffic. Ever.
Unless you're using a border router as a NAT device, of course....

The only way your question makes sense is if someone who should know
better is intending to announce some chunk of RFC1918-space via BGP.

Please tell us that is not your intent.

It's not.  It's not even about my or my employer's network, that's why
I need to exercise extra caution before handing out advice. 8-)