nanog mailing list archives

Re: Router for Metro Ethernet

From: "Tony Varriale" <tvarriale () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:29:09 -0500

---- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Stewart" <nonobvious () gmail com>
To: "Tony Varriale" <tvarriale () comcast net>
Cc: <nanog () nanog org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Router for Metro Ethernet

That's the spec sheet, and that's for straight forwarding.
If you want to do much of anything else at all with the router,
Cisco has another web page that says they only recommend 45Mbps on the
3845 and something like half that on the 3825.
It's especially an issue if you need to do traffic-shaping, which you
usually do for MetroE.

That's the marketing sheet so you continue to purchase up.

But, notice what I said in my original post about CPU. There's only so much of it. So, adjust appropriately for whatever feature you turn on.

tv