nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:10:17 -0400

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, John Curran <jcurran () arin net> wrote:
On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:51 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
Further, given the purported role that InterNIC played, "exchange of
value" as a prerequisite is a rather questionable position to rely on;
InterNIC had motivations other than a purely financial one to organize
IP allocations.  The number assignment function is critical to allowing
the Internet to work smoothly.

On this matter we do agree, since allocations prior to ARIN's formation were
generally made pursuant to a US Government contract or cooperative agreement.
While I don't consider addresses to be property, if you take the opposite view
then there's very likely a significant body of procurement law which already
applies to property furnished in this manner and would be far more relevant
than any documentation that an address block recipient received at the time.

John, Joe:

If you want to understand the general thinking circa 1993, find a copy
of the first edition, third printing of the crab book (TCP/IP Network
Administration, O'Reilly) and read chapter 4. That was the reference
many of us followed when getting our first address blocks.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004