nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

From: Brandon Ross <bross () pobox com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:50:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010, William Herrin wrote:

Last I heard, the FCC has access to people with law degrees not guns.
Much like ARIN, really.

Oh really? So if I start using a frequency that requires a license and I don't have one, won't they tell me to stop? And if I say no, I won't stop, what happens then? Will they never call the cops and have them show up and forcibly shut down my equipment? And if I try to defend my equipment, will the cops not shoot me?

Sorry, all government policies are enforced by guns.

ARIN is not government, if I don't pay ARIN for my address space and keep using it anyway, no cops will show up at my door. Sure my upstreams may decide to shut off my announcements, but a gun never gets involved.

--
Brandon Ross                                              AIM:  BrandonNRoss