nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

From: Dan White <dwhite () olp net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:05:09 -0500

On 08/04/10 18:00 +0000, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:
On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:50:26PM -0500, Dan White wrote:
On 08/04/10 17:17 +0000, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:
> in the IPv4 space, it was common to have a min allocation size of > a /20 ... or 4,096 addresses ... and yet this amnt of space was
>    allocated to someone who only needed to address "3 servers"... say
> six total out of a pool of four thousand ninty six.
Granted, that may have been the case many years ago.

However, this was not our experience when we obtained addresses, and the
ARIN rules as I understand them would not allow such an allocation today.

        i picked a fairly recent example - the min allocation
        size has fluctuated over time.  still it is not the case
that most folks will get -exactly- what they need - they will - in nearly every case - get more address space than
        they need - due to the min allocation rules

We did, on our first allocation. We were well over 90% utilization and when
we asked our upstream ISP for more addresses, we were informed they would
not provide us a 17th /24. We scrambled to get our documentation together
for ARIN. We had to show efficient use of those 16 /24s, and we had to
document our immediate (12-24 month) need for addresses to get them.

>    Thats a huge amnt of wasted space.  If our wise and pragmatic leaders
>    (drc, jc, et.al.) are correct, then IPv4 will be around for a very
>    long time.
>
>    What, if any, plan exists to improve the utilization density of the
> existant IPv4 pool?
I believe your question is based on an outdated assumption.

        and that outdated assumption is?

The assumption that ARIN allocations are based on anything other than 12-24
month need (with only a few exceptions).

If there are a significant number of sparse allocations of IPv4 blocks in
ARIN, then that's a good indication that allocation rules need to be
updated.

--
Dan White