nanog mailing list archives

Re: legacy /8

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 19:48:48 -0700

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com> wrote:
On 4/4/2010 5:10 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM, joel jaeggli<joelja () bogus com>  wrote:

Last time I checked, some of the state of the art 2004 era silicon I had
laying around could forward v6 just fine in hardware.  It's not so usefyl
due to it's fib being a bit undersized for 330k routes plus v6, but hey, six
years is long time.

<cough>4948</cough>  (not 6yrs old, but... still forwards v6 in the
slow-path, weee!)

Yes it does. and the slow path is sloooooooooow on the that switch. but
switches and routers did and do come in colors other than blue.

but, but, but.. then it won't match! and seriously, I can't have
another run in with the fashion police.

In actual seriousness, my point is that plenty of this sort of gear is
in the network, and will be for a time. It's sort of inexcusable that
vendors put out gear 5 years ago that didn't do v6 in the fast path...
 oh well.

-chris