nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Nanog] Re: IPv6 rDNS - how will it be done?

From: Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold <xenophage () godshell com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 20:47:03 -0400

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:42 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
Windows will just populate the reverse zone as needed, if you let
it, using dynamic update.  If you have properly deployed BCP 39
and have anti-spoofing ingres filtering then you can just let any
address from the /48 add/remove PTR records.  Other OS's will
follow suite.

Is DDNS really considered to be the end-all answer for this?  It seems we're putting an awful lot of trust in the user
when doing this..  I'd rather see some sort of macro expansion in bind/tinydns/etc that would allow a range of
addresses to be added.

Alternatively you can delegate the reverse for the /48 to servers
run by the customers.

This works for commercial customers, but I'm not sure I'd want to delegate this to a residential customer.

Mark

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
xenophage () godshell com
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
- Niven's Inverse of Clarke's Third Law