nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:32:30 +1000

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 08:20:33AM +0930, Mark Smith wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:21:16 -0400
Richard Barnes <richard.barnes () gmail com> wrote:

Moreover, the general point stands that Mark's problem is one of bad
ISP decisions, not anything different between IPv4/RFC1918 and IPv6.

My example, although a bit convoluted to demonstrate a point, is about
robustness against Internet link failure. I don't think people's
internal connectivity should be dependent on their Internet link being
available and being assigned global address space. That's what the
global only people are saying.

(how is the customer going to access the CPE webserver to enter ISP
login details when they get the CPE out of the box, if hasn't got
address space because it hasn't connected to the ISP ...)

I've been using IPv6 for about 18 seconds, and even *I* know the answer to
that one -- the link-local address.

- Matt

--
"You are capable, creative, competent, careful.  Prove it."
                -- Seen in a fortune cookie