nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault () viagenie ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:06:31 -0400

On 2010-04-19 13:22, Bryan Fields wrote:
If we look a the total number of translations for 250k users we see 10.5M
entries.  As TCP/UDP only has 65,536 ports and about 1025 of them are
unusable, this leaves 64,511 ports to work with per IP.  Divided out we need
163 public IP's min just to nat the number of users on a single PDSN pool,
assuming we have a 1/2 loading thats 326 public IP's for one pool.

This is true only if you use endpoint-independent mapping. With address-dependent mapping (e.g. pf) or address- and port-dependent mapping (e.g. Linux) scaling is much better.

Simon
--
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca