nanog mailing list archives

Re: Intelligent network monitoring systems (commercial/open source, what have you)

From: Chaim Rieger <chaim.rieger () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:23:25 -0700

Drew Weaver wrote:
Howdy,

Can anyone suggest a network monitoring system that knows the difference between a cisco 1701 and a GSR 12810/6500,
etc?

What I mean is, many times these days there are several different sub systems you have to monitor inside of a
router/switch and not just interface utilization, the "CPU", and the "RAM".

Statistics such as CEF utilization, fabric utilization, PFC/DFC, various line card statistics, etc?

Can anyone recommend anything other than "customize MRTG a lot" that we can use to get a better look into these
systems?

Netdisco and zabbix both have decent auto-discovery built in.

zabbix will auto build a template for you which you can then deploy to
your devices.