nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: James Downs <egon () egon cc>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 10:02:21 -0700

On Aug 28, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:

I'm not following you here -- which party has the right of first refusal?

The incumbent companies (generally, a LEC or cable company) are able to refuse projects and also effectively prevent buildouts and upgrades from being done by a 3rd party. However, I have seen reports that in a few areas, municipalities are starting to win lawsuits against them (in apparently the long appeals process).

urban area receives no USF, and is not able to financially justify it even
with a dense customer base.

That might apply to fiber, but even speed upgrades (Newer DSL services) are apparently subject to the same refusal process, but the rules are different across the country, too.

-j