nanog mailing list archives

Re: 83.222.0.0/19 Unroutable on Verizon

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:34:48 -0400

[comment: subject is irksome - "Unroutable"? That is meaningless]

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 05:20:23PM -0400, Peter Beckman wrote:
I can't reach 83.222.0.0/19 from Verizon, but I can via Cox Communications
Business Fiber as well as Level3.  Dies at a peering point it seems:

HOST: home                        Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
  1. mph                           0.0%    20    0.7   0.6   0.5   0.7   0.1
[snip]

Presumably ICMP probes - those are frequently rate-limited as
counter-measures you realize?  And which Verizon? 701 clearly shows it
in its tables and packets go there. Since your mtr or whatever shows the
traffic reaching a GBLX address, so you likely want to reach out to them.

Can anyone else confirm?  Bad BGP Announcement?

What does your table say? How does that compare to data in RIS, route-views,
etc?  Independent investigation with table data -if your concern is the
state of someone's "routing"- would help.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE