nanog mailing list archives

Re: dealing with bogon spam ?

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:27:56 -0400 (EDT)

Unallocated doesn't mean non-routed. All a spammer needs is a willing/non-filtering provider doing BGP with them, and they can announce any space they like, send out some spam, and then pull the announcement. Next morning, when you see the spam and try to figure out who to send complaints to, you're either going to complain to the wrong people or find that whois is of no help.