nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility for botted clients

From: Raymond Dijkxhoorn <raymond () prolocation net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 11:26:20 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

A major reason ISPs are hesitant to take deliberate measures against such systems is that they are afraid that disconnecting users and making them spend time and money cleaning up their systems will only drive them into the hands of competitors. And the support process itself is expensive, probably wiping out the profit from that user. But with such high coverage of the market users may not have permissive alternatives.

This will be an interesting phenomenon to watch. If it is successful perhaps it could work here too."
-------

I couldn't find the story in English in a version that did not link to my original post, I waited a few days to see if anyone else picks it up, as I don't want yet another self-promotion fight. No one I found in under 2 minutes on Google did, so this second-hand link should do.

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/09/dutch_isps_sign_anti-botnet_tr.php

This is rather old news btw, the convernant was signed < 14 Aug.

The ISP's that signed are :

Alice, Het Net, InterNLnet, KPN, Luna NL, Concepts ICT, Online, Solcon, Tele2, Telfort, UPC, Xenosite, XS4ALL en Ziggo

This is certainly not 98% of the NL marked as they claim. But who cares its a nice initiative.

Bye,
Raymond.