nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:22:37 +1300

On 18/10/2009, at 2:28 PM, William Herrin wrote:

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Ray Soucy <rps () maine edu> wrote:
As it turns out delivering IPv6 to the edge in an academic setting has
been a challenge.  Common wisdom says to rely on SLAAC for IPv6
addressing, and in a perfect world it would make sense.

Ray,

Common wisdom says that?

Our current IPv6 allocation schema provides for a 64-bit prefix for
each network.  Unfortunately, this enables SLAAC; yes, you can
suppress the prefix advertisement, and set the M and O flags, but that
only prevents hosts that have proper implementations of IPv6 from
making use of SLAAC.  The concern here is that older hosts with less
than OK implementations will still enable IPv6 without regard for the
stability and security concerns associated with IPv6.

I thought someone had to respond to router solicitations for stateless
autoconfig of global scope addresses to happen. On Linux you just
don't run the radvd. On Cisco I think it's something like "ipv6 nd
suppress-ra" in the interface config. Does that fail to prevent
stateless autoconfig? Or is there a problem with the operation of
DHCPv6 if router advertisements aren't happening from the router?

RA is generally required whether you use stateless or stateful autoconfiguration. You have to tell the hosts to send a DHCPv6 DISCOVER message by turning on the managed flag in the RA.

RA does not mean that SLAAC happens.

Ray, do you have examples of hosts or stacks that ignore AdvAutonomousFlag?

--
Nathan Ward