nanog mailing list archives

Re: Who has AS 1712?

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:57:30 -0800

On Nov 25, 2009, at 1:33 AM, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

At 08:57 25/11/2009 +0100, Daniel Karrenberg wrote:
shouting.  This is all water under the bridge of course and we are
moving on;
I do not say everything is ideal now.  However the RIRs are actively
working to publish a complete set of stats files which also includes
unallocated resources.

I would've thought IANA would be responsible for unallocated resources.

This is the next best thing to full database
synchronisation. APNIC and the RIPE NCC are driving this effort.

Perhaps the RIRs could get together and agree on a common whois syntax so that when I check one RIR with one syntax -
it would work on others as well?

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4698.txt

More seriously, the theory is that the RIRs are bottom-up driven.  If you think a unified whois schema across all RIRs
(or even IRIS deployment) would be a good thing to have, there are likely better venues to raise the issue than NANOG.

Regards,
-drc