nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Peer Selection Considerations

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:02:10 +0000

On 10/11/2009 09:52, adel () baklawasecrets com wrote:
3) Arrange for PI space and ASN myself, so become an LIR through RIPE.

You don't need to become a LIR to get PI space and an ASN.

Do I really lose a lot by asking Level3 or GBLX to get the PI and ASN
for me?

You lose relatively little. If you wish to move your provider independent resources to another LIR at a later stage, RIPE are very happy to assist.

I think the failure mode cited by someone was if the PI and ASN
provider goes out of business.

If they go out of business, there's a small amount of overhead - you find yourself a new LIR and life will continue on. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I would prefer not to go through becoming an LIR and maintaining the
membership

Probably sensible.

Nick