nanog mailing list archives

Re: What DNS Is Not

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:47:13 -0800

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:24:52 -0500

On Nov 9, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

i loved the henry ford analogy -- but i think henry ford would have
said that
the automatic transmission was a huge step forward since he wanted
everybody
to have a car.  i can't think of anything that's happened in the
automobile
market that henry ford wouldn't've wished he'd thought of.

i knew that the "incoherent DNS" market would rise up on its hind
legs and
say all kinds of things in its defense against the ACM Queue
article, and i'm
not going to engage with every such speaker.

Paul: I completely agree with you that putting wildcards into the
roots, GTLDs, CCTLDs, etc. is a Bad Idea and should be squashed.
Users have little (no?) choice on their TLDs.  Stopping those is a
Good Thing, IMHO.

However, I own a domain (or couple hundred :).  I have a wildcard on
my domain.  I point it where I want.  I feel not the slightest twinge
of guilt at this.  Do you think this is a Bad Thing, or should this be
allowed?

Also, why are you upset at OpenDNS.  People _intentionally_ select to
use OpenDNS, which is clear in its terms of service, and even allows
users to turn off the bits that annoy you.  Exactly what is the issue?

And lastly, DNS is not "truth".  DNS is the Domain Name System, it is
what people configure it to be.  You yourself have argued things like
responding with "192.0.2.1"  for DNSBLs that are being shut down.
That is clearly NOT "truth".

I find it mildly amusing that my first contact with Paul was about 25
years ago when he was at DEC and I objected to his use of a wildcard for
dec.com. The situations are not parallel and the Internet was a
very different animal in those days (and DEC was mostly DECnet), but
still I managed to maintain a full set of MX records for all of our
DECnet systems.

That said, I really, really get annoyed by the abuse of the DNS system.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)