nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 01:30:52 -0400

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Sat, 2 May 2009, Matthew Palmer wrote:

[1] Just because we've got a lot of it, doesn't mean we should be pissing it
up against the wall unnecessarily.  A motto for network engineers and
economists alike.

You can't be wasteful with something that you know is already extremely plentyful.

There is no resource that cannot be pissed away, if you try hard enough.

We currently have 72 million billion /56:es. If we do /56:es of the current /16 being handed out and then change our mind, we can still hand out 1100 billion /56:es before we can discover this was wasteful and then we will have spent one 65536th of the address space available.

Philosophical:

You know, if we are just going to act as if ipv6 has only 64 bits, why didnt we just design it with only 64?

Practical:

Think of the routing table. How many /48's in a /32?

Give people a /56 and if they only use one NOW,

Give people a /96. Thats a whole internet.

Whats that? They resurrected classfull addressing for ipv6?