nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 07:52:22 -0500

Carsten Bormann wrote:
For now: Reserve a /64 for your own allocations (SAA), then hand out half of what you have (i.e., of a /56 for the first CPE, so a /57) to the first asker, then a /58, then a /59 etc. The first asker (nested CPE) has a /57, reserves a /64 for itself (SAA), hands out a /58 to its first child (double-nested CPE), then a /59. This algorithm restricts width plus depth to 8 (64 - 56), which is probably fine for most residential applications.

This makes a lot of assumptions that may not hold true and restricts home devices to treating IPv6 similar to how they treat IPv4. It's not scalable and it doesn't promote usage of multiple segments per device.

The restriction is actually 6 if you make a more sane assumption of /61 per device and not /64. Standard CPE's can support multiple wireless networks and Ethernet segments. An ISP might divide up in a provided CPE, for example, wireless, data, voice, and video (which still needs unicast in addition to multicast). The netgear I configured last night for a customer supports 4 wireless networks plus ethernet.

The probabilistic aspect (FCFS) may cause you cognitive dissonance, but little technical problem. (Something that could be said about many of the "I grew up on IPv4 so I don't understand IPv6" postings here.)

I have little trouble with understanding IPv6, but I do have issues with the current state of it both in standards and in implementations. FCFS only works if home routers continue to work similar to the way they do.

What if the ISP only gave a /60?

Don't do that then!
(http://www.jargondb.org/glossary/dont-do-that-then)

Really, /56 for everyone is the only way back to an Internet.

See, that's where we disagree. Better standards is the only way back to the Internet. Solving all problems from end to end in diverse networks is the way back to the Internet. /56 is arbitrary. Making assumptions about how a network will be restricts the Internet.

Jack