nanog mailing list archives

Re: In a bit of bind...

From: "Daryl G. Jurbala" <daryl () introspect net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:43:22 -0400

On Jun 1, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Curtis Maurand wrote:

I've been using powerdns for quite a while and I've found it to be solid and stable. It'll use quite a few different backends includeing BIND zone files, but its claim to fame is that it uses mysql.

a list of different backends can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerDNS#Backends

I saw bind and bind2, db2, geo, gmysql, gpgsql, goracle, gsqlite, ldap, odbc, opendbx, pipe and xdb. Pipe is interesting because you can write a backend in anything that talks to anything. There is documentation and examples on the website. The "g" stands for generic.

I've been using poweradmin for management.

We've been using it as well in what I would consider a very small setup: 150 domains, most with almost no traffic to speak of, but 3 or 4 with decent traffic (the high traffic ones serving over 50k end-user CPE for VoIP traffic with very short TTLs ). The MySQL back-end really is a claim to fame - it makes administration really easy to integrate into whatever you want.

We have also been using poweradmin for basic management for things not under programmatic MySQL management. It's basic and a bit kludgy, but definitely adequate, and easy enough to hack into your own idea of what it should be.

Daryl