nanog mailing list archives

Re: The actual value, from a security standpoint, of using a proxy domain registrar?

From: "Daryl G. Jurbala" <daryl () introspect net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:59:49 -0400

On Jul 16, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

OTOH, there doesn't seem to be a legitimate long-term use for business
purposes.  (In my view, the secondary domain market is not
legitimate---online advertisers keep it alive to artificially increase
conversion rates, essentially defrauding brand owners who are
structurally unable to cope with this situation.)

Don't be myopic about this. There are very legitimate business cases for these services.

Example: I work for a VoIP provider that sells to large customers. Their customers sell to smaller customers that want to operate their own small scale VoIP business. No one 2 or 3 levels down knows who we are, and the people upstream want it that way.

Sure, most have their own domain names, but maintaining that for SBCs and very small customers who don't have/want their own domain name (to check call logs, etc) simply isn't feasible (you can doubt this assertion, but unless you know the middle eastern VoIP markets you have no business doing so).

Solution? Generic sounding domain name with private registration. Cheap. Effective. Done.

Daryl